Like many residents of Summit County, Colorado, I spend much of my summer exploring the expansive trail network our home has to offer. With the local trails seeing so much use, it’s important to go beyond respect and give back with a little (or a lot of) manual labor.
Several trails organizations in Summit County have released their 2011 projects and below is a rundown, not including ongoing stewardship programs. Contact the individual organizations for project details.
Friends of the Dillon Ranger District: 2011 trail projects near Dillon, Colorado
Sign up online to participate
- May 14th: Tree Planting with the Volunteers for Outdoor Colorado (Family Oriented)
- May 21st: Town/Forest Clean-Up
- May 22nd: Tree Re-planting with Keller Williams Realty
- June 4th: National Trails Day, Sponsored by Friends of the Eagles Nest Wilderness, the Summit Fat Tire Society and Friends of the Dillon Ranger District
- July 9th: Pulling For Colorado, Summit County Weed Pull
- July 23rd: Summit Trail Running Series – FDRD Horseshoe Gulch Trail Project
- July 23rd: Quandary Peak Project with the Colorado Fourteeneers Initiative
- August 20th: Fire Mitigation Project
- September 10th: Beetlefest in Frisco
- September 17th-18th: Trail Project with Volunteers for Outdoor Colorado at the Keystone Homestead
- September 24th: National Public Lands Day – Volunteer Celebration
- October 8th: Make A Difference Day with Summit Prevention Alliance
Friends of Breckenridge Trails
Volunteers are encouraged to meet behind Town Hall (150 Ski Hill Road) between 8:00 and 8:30am for juice, coffee and snacks. A typical day ends around 2:00 p.m. To volunteer, contact Tony Overlock at (970) 453-2251 x 1116 or email@example.com
- June 4: Participate in a great cause by planting seedlings on the Town’s reforestation sites. This Legacy Forest Campaign event is in cooperation with the Bristlecone Foundation, which supports patients and families in need in Summit County. In the afternoon, a free concert for volunteers will be hosted at the Breckenridge Riverwalk Center with Oakhurst as the featured artist.
- June 8: An additional day of planting Colorado Blue spruce, Douglas fir and Bristlecone pine seedlings on the Town’s reforestation sites.
- June 18: Discovery Hill Trail Extension – Join Summit Fat Tire Society to help complete a new singletrack trail extending off the Discovery Hill.
- July 6-8: Breck Bike Week Trail Events
July 6: B-Line – Get creative and construct new technical trail features on the Town’s freeride trail.
July 7: Babes in the Backcountry – Be a babe for a day and get dirty working on the trails.
July 8: Trail Day – Get outside and make a difference you can see on one of your favorite trails.
*NOTE: All Breckenridge Bike Week Events meet in the Blue River Plaza, 201 South Main Street
- July 9: Pulling for Colorado – Be involved in a statewide weed pull and help preserve Cucumber Gulch Preserve wetlands.
- July 23-24: Illinois Creek Project – Join Volunteers for Outdoor Colorado and Summit County Open Space to reroute and improve a portion of the Illinois Creek Trail.
- August 13: Cucumber Weed Pull – Be a Weed Warrior and help eradicate noxious weeds in the Town’s crown jewel, Cucumber Gulch Preserve open space.
- September 10 & 14: River Trail – Help construct a new trail that completes a scenic loop along the Blue River.
Friends of the Eagles Nest Wilderness
Volunteer days typically run 8-4:30. Visit the website for various contact information.
- June 18: Gateway Trail Day
- July 16: Meadow Creek Trail Day
- August 13: Meadow Creek Trail Day
- September 17-18: 2-day Project, trail TBD